7.29.2008

My first Freecycle experience

We got bikes!

T and I would always imagine the day we would get bikes and we'd be able to bike around town on the bike paths, ride to the library and the store, and generally enjoy our surroundings not on foot. Realistically, this was one of our goals for next summer or even the summer after that, due to our other goals.

This goal became a reality in the past few weekends.

I signed up for freecycle.org on a whim just to see what it was all about. This is a site were you can join local freecycle groups and post things that you have that you want to give away or post that you want something and see if someone has it. The biggest thing is that it has to be free, no money can be exchanged and no bartering. The only real cost is the cost of gas to go pick up your item(s).

My first post was on 7/11 and we got a response by 7/16! We picked the bikes up that Saturday, from a guy that reminds us of Carl from Aqua Teen, who spoke really really loudly.

This past Saturday, T and I took our inaugural bike ride to our city library, about 3 miles away. It only took about 30 minutes to get there and it was about as hard as I thought it would be. Considering I hadn't ridden a bike since 2003, this was a big adventure for me. It was so much fun, the breeze, the getting out of our neighborhood, the exercise, and the not spending money.

All in all one of the most frugal outings we've had to date. A bike ride to the library on free bikes...who can beat that.

0 notes:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so leave me a note!

Rachel Anne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...